Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Photography class: Assignment 5 - Controlling light

The assignment for this week class was to take 5 photos in different lightning conditions so we could use different camera settings to control the light, for example:
  • ISO
  • White balance
  • Flash
  • Exposure compensation
  • Flash compensation
  • Metering

The photos I took are the following:

Sam resting

Assignment 5 - Controlling light
I took this photo in my living room under a few fluorescent light that was coming from the kitchen, so no direct light, I used fluorescent white balance, ISO 200, spot metering and the external flash not pointing directly to avoid weird eyes.

I like this photo a lot, I feel like all the colors look very real plus the fact that Sam's eyes look perfect, no craziness. Of course, Sam's cuteness helps a lot ;)

Irazu Volcano

Assignment 5 - Controlling light

I took this photo on the Irazu Volcano, it was super cloudy and super cold, so I used cloudy white balance, ISO 200, no flash, no no exposure compensation and matrix metering.

A young horse

Assignment 5 - Controlling light

This was was also under a cloudy day but with more sun light, so I still used cloudy white balance, ISO 200, no flash, no exposure compensation and matrix metering. Loved the horse!

My Kindle

Assignment 5 - Controlling light

This one was taken under an incandescent light, a lamp light, so I used incandescent white balance, ISO 1600, no flash, matrix metering and exposure compensation of +1.

Sam posing

Assignment 5 - Controlling light

This one was taken under an incandescent light too, so I used incandescent white balance, ISO 1600, no flash, matrix metering and exposure compensation of +1.

This is super interesting, there are a lot settings in the camera that you can use to control the light, so knowing what each one of these settings does is super important and specially when to use them, you can play with them, using different settings taking the same photo and you will different results.

I was told that using the White Balance in Auto usually gives good results, there are some specific cases where you might need to set it yourself, what do you think? Do you think Auto works for most cases? What is your experience?

Please add your comments in the blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment